I came across this little questionnaire by jaquintinwriter and scored really low. Now, I’ve never really been high maintenance or the girly girl type but…5 out of 20? And this would have been a pre-pandemic score. I made a quick review of my self-care habits just to check if I still feel good about my habits lately.
How It Was (pre-pandemic):
- Almost daily exercise
- Weekly Me time mostly consisting of meditation, reading, going for or making myself a nice meal
- Some regular monthly pampering i.e. mani or pedicure, massage
- Occasional pampering i.e. hair treatment, facial or some personal shopping
- Annual medical/physical/dental checkup or treatment as needed.
How It’s Going:
- Weekly exercise (mostly nature walks instead of gym) + Healthy eating (mostly home-cooked)
- Me time still there (+writing or art when I’m feeling extra)
- Monthly pampering scrapped – I still do not feel safe visiting a salon or spa.
- Occasional pampering still there but more DIY/at-home, personal shopping at a minimum or barely happening (the latter mainly because I’m going for zero to less waste since mid-2020)
- Annual physical and dental skipped last year (OVERDUE, so will probably try the mobile center options).
My self-care habits now look very different, even more minimal and cost so much less, but a lot more mindful. Actually, this mindfulness spills over to almost all areas of my life now. Rare are the days when I’m running on autopilot. I still struggle a bit with consistency but motivation comes easier now, a lot lighter on my feet compared to last year.
What does self-care look like for you these days?